Are you procrastinating?

Do you often find it hard to get started on an important project, instead waiting until the very last possible minute? If this sounds familiar, then you’re also very likely familiar with the negative side effects of procrastination, such as stress, missed deadlines or lower quality results. Next time you find yourself procrastinating on a project, give yourself permission to make progress during a short work session.

When I’m procrastinating on a writing project, it’s usually because I’m feeling as if I need to finish the entire project in one sitting. And this feels overwhelming, stifles my creativity and makes it nearly impossible to write. By setting my timer for 30 minutes, I give myself permission to simply start my writing project and make progress, instead of piling on the added pressure of finishing.

Next time you’re procrastinating on a project, give this idea a try. Start by deciding to make progress on your project, instead of trying to finish it in one sitting. Then, set your timer for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes or 30 minutes. Simply select a timeframe that feels doable to you based on the project and your stress level. Then, set your timer and start. Who knows, when the timer dings, you might just find yourself completely over the procrastination hurdle and ready to keep plugging along.

 

0 comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=77b8f4b51a35473d2243bfefcae83dc4