Watermelon

My maternal grandfather loved to eat rice with watermelon. In fact everybody in the family (my mother side) loves it too. It’s our habit, I guess.

Now, my husband is from Malaysia. The first time I came for visit, it was durian season. I got a shock when I saw his mom ate durian with rice. She said, it’s not uncommon thing in there. When I told her that I preferred to eat rice with watermelon, it’s her turn to get a shock. I guess different country has different culture.

I saw this watermelon salad recipe in MSN today. Looks interesting, should try it one of these days.

Ingredient:
2 large red tomatoes, cut into 1-inch wedges (about 2 cups)
2 pounds watermelon, cut into 1/2- by 2 1/2-inch wedges
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, sliced

Directions:
Gently toss tomatoes, watermelon, cucumber, and onion together in a large bowl and set aside. Combine vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour vinaigrette over the watermelon mixture and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Sprinkle with basil and serve.

 

2 comments:

Borneo Falcon said...

Look nice and delicious

blanne said...

rice w/ watermelon? interesting. although i can never imagine how watermelon's taste compliment that of the rice's.. hehe :)

Hit-or-Miss
Pinoy Negosyo Directory
Cebu Lands and Homes
Diletante Escritor

 
ss_blog_claim=77b8f4b51a35473d2243bfefcae83dc4