Watching TV

My older daughter is a TV junkie. She spends most of her time in front of TV watching cartoon at least 3 hours a day. I know this is not a good habit, but I got things done when she watched TV.

Last time when I was a kid, I rarely watched TV. I spent most of my time playing outside with my cousins and neighbor friends. I lived in a “kampong” and my cousins live nearby. While our mothers were cooking and cleaning, we were playing outside until time for lunch.

According to a study from 2006, 79 % of US-American childrenh ave watched television before their 2nd birthday, while 43 % of these children watch television on a daily basis. According
to another study conducted in the United States, 2- to 3-year-olds consume 2 1/2 hours of television per dayand 82 minutes of video in addition to that. The total media consumption
per day thus adds up to 322 minutes.

Now the question : is watching tv beneficial or harmful?
There is a review of research literature about this topic if you are interested to read further.

 

1 comments:

fiftyodd said...

Don't feel too bad. We have all used TV as a baby-sitter. The key is just to remember that the choice to have a child means a committment from the parent to do our best! None of us is perfect.

 
ss_blog_claim=77b8f4b51a35473d2243bfefcae83dc4