So What!

Clay Aiken is Gay! So What!? Being a gay doesn’t mean he is less human. The way the press makes a big deal out of it reminds me of my own experience when I was in university about 10 years ago.

I was in my first semester of my MBA program at that time. One fine day when I entered my lecture room I noticed that everybody was whispering or talking in a hush-hush manner. I met up with my team mates and immediately asked them what had happened (FYI, there were 5 students in one team, and I was the only girl in my team. At that time I noticed that one of my team members did not arrive yet). They immediately showed me the daily university newspaper. In that newspaper I saw an article written by one of my team members (the one that still had not arrived yet) about him being a gay. It seemed that day was “coming out of closet” day and he decided to tell everybody that he is a gay by writing an article in the newspaper.

After reading that newspaper, the following conversation happened:
Me: So what is the big deal about him being gay?
One of my team members, let say his name is A: Do you mean in your country it is OK to be gay?
Me: I didn’t say that, but this is America, and I always thought that in America being gay is something that is common and acceptable.
A: Says who?
Me: Well, I saw it in the movies. There seemed to be a lot of gay characters in American movies.
A: It’s only in the movies, but the reality is we are not as liberal as that.

Then suddenly the door opened and the guy we were talking about came in wearing a T-shirt with “Yes, I Am A Gay” printed across his chest. Everybody became silent and pretended to read or do something it was so quiet I could almost hear a pin drop. When the class began, I noticed that during discussion time, nobody talked to him. Poor guy! Anyway, in the end everybody accepted him the way he was.

Actually, unlike Clay Aiken, I would have never guessed that he is a gay. He had the most manly look among all of my ream members.

 

2 comments:

Signe said...

I just don't there's much of a shock anymore (like w/Aiken)...it's more like "oh, you are?..ok"...then life goes on.

LIFE,MARRIAGE AND KIDS said...

thats right,i agree is signe.i wasnt shocked at all,i knew he was gay by just looking at him,i know i know you cant really tell but with clay you can.

 
ss_blog_claim=77b8f4b51a35473d2243bfefcae83dc4